Ways you can renew your child's passport
The easiest way to renew your child's New Zealand passport is to apply online, from anywhere in the world, you won't need to print off forms, mail us anything or visit a Passport office. Paper application forms (if you need one) can still be downloaded from this site, printed and mailed for processing. Pre-printed application forms are also available from your nearest Passport office.
The Online Passport Service and Online Photo Checker website outage - 6th - 7th August
The Online Passport Service and Online Photo Checker will be unavailable between 10:00pm Saturday 6th and 3:00pm Sunday the 7th August due to planned system maintenance. You may want to check back from time to time as you may be able to access the website earlier. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
If you have everything below then applying for a passport should take about 10-15 minutes.
We use a RealMe logon to keep your details secure and allow you to save your progress if you need to leave your application and come back. If you already have a logon that's great, but otherwise you'll be able to create one during the process.
What you'll need to renew a child's passport...
Your child's current New Zealand passport
An identity referee's passport details
A digital passport photo
Digital photos must be in a .JPG or .JPEG format and are usually provided via CD, USB or email. You can then upload them during the application process.
You can also take the photo of your child yourself and check it is suitable by using the Online Photo Checker tool. If you plan to do this you will need to read the instructions on how to take passport photos.
A credit card
You can't use the child renewal service for a person 16 years of age or older.
Use the button below to see the adult renewal passport options.16 or older and held a New Zealand Passport before
You can't renew your child's passport online if they are under 16 years old and any of the following situations apply:
- they need to use their passport for travel within the next 10 days
- they are applying for a New Zealand Passport for the first time
- their name has changed since their last passport was issued
- their passport has been lost or stolen
- they have an endorsement printed on the observation page of their most recent New Zealand passport, or will need one in their renewed passport
- their New Zealand passport is a Diplomatic or Official passport
Most NZ child passports can now be renewed online
The easiest way to renew your child's New Zealand passport is to apply online, from anywhere in the world, you won't need to print off forms, mail us anything or visit a passport office. Paper application forms (if you need one) can still be downloaded from this site, printed and mailed for processing.
Applying using paper application form
Read this page carefully to make sure you are filling out the correct form
- is your child under 16 years old?
- are they applying for their New Zealand Passport for the first time?
- have they changed their name since their last passport was issued?
- has their most recent passport been lost or stolen?
Download, complete on-screen and print an child application form
You can complete our forms on-screen using the Editable PDF functionality with Adobe Reader'. You must still print off the application and sign where applicable by hand.This form needs to be opened in Adobe Reader version 9 or higher. If you are unable to open this form we recommend you get the latest version of Adobe Reader, which can be downloaded for free from the Adobe site.
For more information about our editable forms see our Questions and Answers on the Editable PDF application forms.
If child is already overseas and travel is urgent or an emergency
- their passport has been lost or stolen
- their need to travel urgently (within a few days), AND
- they can't wait for a new passport to be issued.
All other travellers should contact their nearest New Zealand Embassy, High Commission or Consulate office.
Is your child now 16 years of age or older?
- Children 16 years or older must use the adult renewal passport application form
- Children 16 years of age or older who have not previously had a New Zealand passport must use the full adult passport applicaton form. Complete a full adult passport application form
Online guide to filling in the form
- Child’s personal details
- Child’s previous travel documents
- Parental consent to issue a passport
- Child’s witness and passport photos
- Child’s contact and delivery details
- Application checklist
- Payment methods
- Submitting your form to us
Unable to download or access this form?
Printed copies are available from:
- your nearest passport office, OR
- overseas from New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions or Consulates.
The downloadable version of this form has most of the colour and shading removed so it can be printed in black and white. You will need to print it on high quality A4 sized paper. You must send the complete application form, even if some pages have not been filled in by you and there are empty fields. This will help to ensure your application is not unnecessarily delayed.