- APPLICATION FORM
use the right form
avoid mistakes and delays
- PERSONAL DETAILSyour child's legal name
- PREVIOUS DOCUMENTSproving their identity
- PARENTAL CONSENT
for children under 16
- WITNESS AND PHOTOSconfirming your child's identity
- CONTACT DETAILShow can we reach you?
- PAYMENT METHODSwork out the total cost
- SEND OR DELIVERsubmit the form to us
- PREVENTING CHILDRENbeing taken from New Zealand
Apply for a child passport – application form
Important: You cannot apply online for a new child's passport or to renew a child's passport.
All children (under 16 years) and babies need to travel on their own passport
Consent from a parent or legal guardian is required before we will issue a child’s passport. Read this page carefully to make sure you are filling in the correct form.
- Is your child under 16 years old?
- Are they applying for their New Zealand Passport for the first time or renewing their New Zealand passport?
- Have they changed their name since their last passport was issued?
- Has their most recent passport been lost or stolen?
Download, or complete on-screen and print a child passport application form
You can complete our forms on-screen using the Editable PDF functionality with Adobe Reader'. You must still print off the application and sign where applicable by hand.
This form needs to be opened in Adobe Reader version 9 or higher.
For more information about our editable PDF forms see our Questions and Anwers on the Editable PDF application forms.
Your child's previous passport
If your child has a New Zealand passport you are not required to send it to us. Once your child's application has been received your child's previous New Zealand passport will be cancelled and cannot be used for travel.
- If your child is already overseas and travel is urgent or an emergency
- If your child is now 16 years of age or older
- How to complete your child's form
- Unable to download or access this form?
If your child is already overseas and travel is urgent or an emergency
- their passport has been lost or stolen,
- they need to travel urgently (within a few days), AND
- they can’t wait for a new passport to be issued.
All other travellers should contact their nearest New Zealand Embassy, High Commission or Consulate office.
Is your child now 16 years of age or older?
Children who need to renew their first New Zealand passport and are now 16 years of age or older should use the adult passport renewal form.Renew the passport using adult passport renewal form
Children 16 years of age or older who have not previously had a New Zealand passport must use the full adult passport application form.Complete a full adult passport application
How to complete this form
Refer to the guide notes attached to the form, or continue reading the child passport application information on this website.
Online guide to filling in the form
- Child’s personal details
- Child’s previous travel documents
- Parental consent to issue a passport
- Child’s witness and passport photos
- Child’s contact and delivery details
- Application checklist
- Payment methods
- Submitting your form to us
Learn more about:
Unable to download or access this form?
Printed copies are available from:
- your nearest Passport office, OR
- overseas from New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions or Consulates.
The downloadable version of this form has most of the colour and shading removed so it can be printed in black and white. You will need to print it on high quality A4 sized paper. You must send the complete application form, even if some pages have not been filled in and there are empty fields. This will help to ensure your application is not unnecessarily delayed.