Ways you can renew your adult passport
If you need to travel within 10 working days of submitting your application you will not be able to apply online, you will need to apply using the paper application form.
This is what you'll need to apply for an adult passport
If you have everything below then applying for a passport should take about 10-15 minutes.
We use a RealMe logon to keep your details secure and allow you to save your progress if you need to leave your application and come back. If you already have a logon that's great, but otherwise you'll be able to create one during the process.
Your current New Zealand passport
An identity referee's passport details
A digital passport photo
Digital photos must be in a .JPG or .JPEG format and are usually provided via CD, USB or email. You can then upload them during the application process.
You can also take the photo yourself and check it is suitable by using the Online Photo Checker. If you plan to do this you will need to read the instructions on how to take passport photos.
A credit card
You can't use this online form to apply for a child under 16 years of ageApply for a child's passport
You can't renew your passport online if you are over 16 years old and any of the following situations apply
- You need to use your passport for travel within the next 10 days
- You are applying for a New Zealand Passport for the first time
- Your name has changed since your last passport was issued
- Your passport has been lost or stolen
- You have an endorsement printed on the observation page of your most recent New Zealand passport, or will need one in your renewed passport
- Your New Zealand passport is a Diplomatic or Official passport
Most existing NZ passport holders can now renew their passport online
The easiest way to renew your New Zealand passport is to apply online, you won't need to print off forms, mail us any anything or visit a Passport office.We will help you get started with a short checklist.
Forms you can download and print are still available, if you really need one
Are you using the correct application form?
Check you're using the correct application form. Read this page carefully to make sure you are eligible to use the renewal form. Some existing passport holders will need to complete a full application, depending on your circumstances.
- Are you 16 years or over?
- Have you already had a New Zealand passport?
- Has your passport not been lost or stolen?
- Has your name not changed since your last passport was issued?
Download, complete on-screen and print an adult renewal passport application form
You can complete our forms on-screen using the Editable PDF functionality with Adobe Reader'. You must still print off the application and sign where applicable by hand.
This form needs to be opened in Adobe Reader version 9 or higher.
For more information about our editable forms see our Questions and Answers on the Editable PDF application forms.Find out how much your passport will cost
and how long it will take.
Your previous passport
You are not required to send your New Zealand passport to us. Once your application has been received your previous New Zealand passport will be cancelled and cannot be used for travel.
- Personal details
- Identity referee and photos
- Contact and delivery details
- Applicant declaration and checklist
- Payment methods
- Submitting your form to us
Learn more about:
Unable to download or access this form?
Printed copies are available from:
- your nearest passport office, OR
- overseas from New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions or Consulates.
The downloadable version of this form has most of the colour and shading removed so it can be printed in black and white. You will need to print it on high quality A4 sized paper. You must send the complete application form, even if some pages have not been filled in by you and there are empty fields. This will help to ensure your application is not unnecessarily delayed.