Travel smart - keep your passport safe
Your passport is the next-best thing to your ticket home
Look after your passport when you’re travelling. Plan ahead and travel smart.
- keep it secure while you are travelling and it's in use.
- store your passport safely away from view when it’s not in use.
- check it regularly.
- keep it in a dry place.
- leave your passport unattended when travelling.
- tamper with your passport in any way or attempt to fix it if it’s peeling.
- provide it as security to anyone else.
Go to safetravel.govt.nz, get advice on how to prepare for your travel, and what you can do if trouble strikes while you’re overseas. The website contains general travel advice, as well as specific travel advisories for particular countries.