- APPLICATION FORM use the right form
- CHECKLIST avoid mistakes and delays
- PERSONAL DETAILS
proving your legal name
- PREVIOUS DOCUMENTS proving your identity
- WITNESS AND PHOTOS confirming your identity
- CONTACT DETAILShow can we reach you?
- PAYMENT METHODS work out the total cost
- SEND OR DELIVERsubmit your form to us
Apply for a new adult passport – application form
Are you using the correct application form?
Read this page carefully to make sure you are using the correct form.
You are not able to apply for a new adult passport online.
- Are you 16 years or over?
- Are you applying for a New Zealand passport for the first time?
- Are you renewing your passport and your name has changed since your previous passport?
- Are you renewing your passport because your previous passport is lost or stolen?
Download, or complete on-screen and print an adult passport application form
You can complete our forms on-screen using the Editable PDF functionality with Adobe Reader'. You must still print off the application and sign where applicable by hand.
This form needs to be opened in Adobe Reader version 9 or higher.
For more information about our editable forms see our Questions and Answers on the Editable PDF application forms.
Your previous passport
If you have a New Zealand passport you are not required to send it to us. Once your application has been received your previous New Zealand passport will be cancelled and cannot be used for travel.
- If you're already overseas and travel is urgent or an emergency
- Applying for a passport for a child under 16 years
- If you already have a New Zealand passport
- How to complete your form
- Unable to download or access this form?
If you're already overseas and travel is urgent or an emergency
- your passport has been lost or stolen
- you need to travel urgently (within a few days), AND
- you can’t wait for a new passport to be issued.
All other travellers should contact their nearest New Zealand Embassy, High Commission or Consulate office.
Applying for a passport for a child under 16 years?
- Children who need to renew or apply for their first New Zealand passport and are under 16 years of age must use the child passport application form
If you already have a New Zealand passport
- your name is the same as your current passport
- your passport is not lost, stolen or destroyed, AND
- you’re 16 years of age or older.
How to complete this form
Refer to the guide notes attached to the form, or continue reading the adult passport application information on this website.
Online guide to filling in the form
- Personal details
- Previous documents
- Your witness and passport photos
- Contact and delivery details
- Application declaration and checklist
- Payment methods
- Submitting your form to us
Learn more about:
Unable to download or access this form?
Printed copies are available from:
- your nearest Passport office, OR
- overseas from New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions or Consulates.
The downloadable version of this form has most of the colour and shading removed so it can be printed in black and white. You will need to print it on high quality A4 sized paper. You must send the complete application form, even if some pages have not been filled in by you and there are empty fields. This will help to ensure your application is not unnecessarily delayed.