New Zealand passports | Uruwhenua Aotearoa

The Department of Internal Affairs | Te Tari Taiwhenua

Apply for an emergency travel document – identity referee and photos

Important: You cannot apply online for a Emergency Travel Document.

An identity referee does not need to complete any part of the application form

Your identity referee must have a New Zealand passport, cannot be related to you, or live at the same address as you. You need to provide your identity referee’s passport number, name and contact phone numbers on the application form.

Read the following section carefully to make sure you fill out your application form correctly.

On this page:

Who can be your identity referee?

Your identity referee MUST...

  • be 16 years of age or older
  • hold a valid New Zealand passport (it cannot be expired)
  • have known you for 1 year or more (or since birth for a child under 1 year old)
  • have contact phone numbers, AND
  • be prepared to provide details like their date of birth and home address.

Your identity referee MUST NOT...

  • be a relative (for example your identity referee cannot be your parent, child, brother, sister, aunt, uncle or cousin)
  • be your spouse or partner, OR
  • live at the same address as you.

Checklist for application section  6 - Your identity referee

  • Make sure you have completed your identity referee questions.
  • Is the travel document for a child under 16? Make sure you have signed the declaration of consent in application section 5.
  • Make sure you sign and date the bottom of page 5.
  • Make sure you have written your name and the date on the back of one of your photos.
  • You do not need to sign your name on the back of one of your photos.


Application section 7 – Your applicant declaration

Head covering

If you wear a head covering for religious or medical reasons, please tick this option. If you did not wear a head covering in your last passport, you will need to complete a separate Statutory Declaration form telling us why you now wear a head covering, and send this with your application.

Signing the declaration

You must sign the declaration if:
  • you have filled in your application form yourself, OR
  • you can sign your own name but someone else has filled in the application form for you.

If you are not able to sign the declaration:

  • tick the box ‘I am unable to sign my name’ on page 3.

If you where able to sign your name in your last passport, have the person who filled in your application form complete a separate Statutory Declaration form stating the reason why you are now unable to sign this application. Please send the Statutory Declaration to us with your application.

Avoid delays

Complete a Statutory declaration form if you now wear a head covering or you are no longer able to sign your name.

Download the Statutory declaration form PDF, 2 pages, 477kb

Get Adobe Reader.


Getting passport quality photos

  • Check the example passport photos to make sure your photo meets the requirements.
  • You need to provide 2 identical photos that are less than 6 months old.
  • Your photos must be in colour.
  • Put your photos into a sealed envelope or a plastic bag and attach the envelope or bag to your application form.
  • DO NOT staple, pin or glue your photos on to the page.

Avoid delays

Be careful with your photos. Make sure they are not damaged, bent, or creased when you submit your application form. If your photos are damaged this will delay the processing of your application.