New Zealand passports | Uruwhenua Aotearoa

The Department of Internal Affairs | Te Tari Taiwhenua

Apply for an emergency travel document - parental consent for children under 16

Important: You cannot apply online for a Emergency Travel Document.

Giving your consent so we can issue of an emergency travel document to a child

Read all the instructions in the guide section of the form, the following is only a summary. Fill in and check your form carefully to avoid delays when your application is processed.


Application section 5 – Consent to issue an emergency travel document to a child under 16 years old

Relationship to the child

To give consent for the issue of an emergency travel document to a child, you must be:
  • the child’s mother
  • the child’s father, OR
  • a legal guardian of the child.

Avoid delays

  • A parenting order (also known as a custody order) does not give you legal guardianship of the child.
  • A step-parent is not a child’s legal guardian unless they have been appointed through a court process or in a parent’s will.
  • If you are unsure about court orders, you should contact a lawyer for advice.

Your details

Please provide your details, including:
  • your full name
  • your date of birth, AND
  • your address and contact details.