- APPLICATION FORM
use the right form
avoid mistakes and delays
- YOUR TRAVEL PLANS
proof of urgency
- PERSONAL DETAILS
proving your identity
- PARENTAL CONSENT
for children under 16
- REFEREE AND PHOTOS
confirming your identity
- CONTACT DETAILS
how can we reach you?
- PAYMENT METHODS
work out the total cost
- SEND OR DELIVER
submit your form to us
Apply for an emergency travel document – application form
Important: You cannot apply online for a Emergency Travel Document.
Are you using the correct application form?
Read this page carefully to make sure you are filling in the correct form.
What is an emergency travel document ?
An emergency travel document is a short-term, machine-readable travel document issued to New Zealanders overseas in emergency and compassionate situations when they need to travel and do not have a valid passport.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR TRAVEL IS URGENT, OR IN AN EMERGENCY
If you're already overseas AND...
- your passport has been lost or stolen,
- you need to travel urgently (within a few days), AND
- you can’t wait for a new passport to be issued
Apply for an emergency travel document PDF, 12 pages, 238kb
This form needs to be opened in Adobe Reader version 9 or higher. If you are unable to open this form we recommend you get the latest version of Adobe Reader, which can be downloaded for free from the Adobe site.
If you're in New Zealand, Australia, or the United Kingdom and you need to travel urgently, you should just apply for a passport.
Passports can be issued by:
- the New Zealand passport office in Sydney,
- the New Zealand passport office in London,
- as well as Passport office locations in New Zealand.
How to complete an emergency travel document application
Refer to the guide notes attached to the form, or continue reading the emergency travel document application information on this website.
Online guide to filling in the form
- Your travel plans (and proof of urgency)
- Personal details
- Parental consent for children under 16
- Your identity referee and passport photos
- Contact and delivery details
- Payment methods
- Application checklist
- Submitting your form to us
Learn more about:
Unable to download or access this form?
Printed copies are available from:
- your nearest Passport office, OR
- overseas from New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions or Consulates.
The downloadable version of this form has most of the colour and shading removed so it can be printed in black and white. You will need to print it on high quality A4 sized paper. You must send the complete application form, even if some pages have not been filled in and there are empty fields. This will help to ensure your application is not unnecessarily delayed.