New Zealand passports | Uruwhenua Aotearoa

The Department of Internal Affairs | Te Tari Taiwhenua

Parental consent - for children under 16 years of age

Your consent for the issue of a passport to a child

Read all the instructions in the guide section of the form, the following is just a summary. Fill in and check the form carefully to avoid delays when the application is processed.


Application section 10 - Consent for issue of a passport to a child under 16 years old

Relationship to child

To give consent for the issue of a child passport, you must be:

  • the child's mother
  • the child's father, OR
  • a legal guardian of the child.

Avoid delays

Only your child's officially registered name can be used in their passport.

  • A parenting order (also known as a custody order) does not give you legal guardianship of the child.
  • A step-parent is not a child’s legal guardian unless they have been appointed through a court process or in a parent’s will.

If you are unsure about court orders, you may wish to contact a lawyer for advice.

Your details

Please provide your details including:

  • your full name
  • your date of birth, AND
  • your address and contact details.

Check the application form carefully

Does the information in Section 10 match exactly what’s shown on your child's birth certificate?

We match the information against New Zealand birth and citizenship records, so make sure all your information is right.

  • Check your spelling.
  • Write names exactly as they appear on your child's documents.