- DOCUMENTS FOR NON-CITIZENS using the right form
- CHECKLISTavoid mistakes and delays
- YOUR TRAVEL PLANSproof of residency
- PERSONAL DETAILS
proving your legal name
- PREVIOUS DOCUMENTSproving your identity
- PARENTAL CONSENTif child under 16
- YOUR WITNESS AND PHOTOS confirming your identity
- CONTACT AND DELIVERY DETAILShow can we reach you?
- PAYMENT METHODSwork out the total cost
- SEND OR DELIVER? submit your form to us
Apply for a Certificate of Identity or Refugee Travel Document – application form
Important: You cannot apply online for a Certificate of Identity or Refugee Travel Document.
Are you using the correct application form?
Read this page carefully to make sure you are filling in the correct form.
What is a Certificate of Identity?
A Certificate of Identity may be issued to a person who is not a New Zealand citizen and cannot obtain a passport from their country of citizenship. A New Zealand Certificate of Identity is valid for a maximum of 2 years, and is valid from the date of issue until the date of expiry.
What is a Refugee Travel Document?
A Refugee Travel Document may be issued to a person who is not a New Zealand citizen and who has refugee status confirmed by Immigration New Zealand. A New Zealand Refugee Travel Document is valid for a maximum of 5 years, and is valid from the date of issue until the date of expiry.
Download and print the Certificate of Identity or Refugee Travel Document form
Application form for a Certificate of Identity or Refugee Travel Document PDF, 16 pages, 255kb
This form needs to be opened in Adobe Reader version 9 or higher. If you are unable to open this form we recommend you get the latest version of Adobe Reader, which can be downloaded for free from the Adobe site.
Find out how much your travel document will cost
and how long it will take.
- If you already have a New Zealand passport
- Applying for a New Zealand passport for an adult
- Applying for a New Zealand passport for a child under 16 years
- How to complete your form
- Unable to download or access this form?
If you already have a New Zealand passport
- it’s about to expire, or you’ve run out of empty pages
- you’re 16 years of age or older
- your name is the same as your current passport, AND
- your passport is not lost, stolen or destroyed.
Use the adult passport application if you're over 16 years
- you are applying for a New Zealand passport for the first time
- your name has changed since your last passport was issued, OR
- your New Zealand passport has been lost or stolen.
Applying for a New Zealand passport for a child under 16 yearsUse the child passport application form
How to complete this form
Refer to the guide notes attached to the form, or continue reading the Certificate of Identity or Refugee Travel Document application information on this website.
Online guide to filling in the form:
- Travel plans and proof of residency
- Personal details
- Previous documents
- Parental consent for children under 16
- Your witness and passport photos
- Contact and delivery details
- Application checklist
- Payment methods
- Submitting your form to us
Learn more about:
Unable to download or access this form?
Printed copies are available from:
The downloadable version of this form has most of the colour and shading removed so it can be printed in black and white. You need to print it on high quality A4 sized paper. You must send the complete application form, even if some pages have not been filled in and there are empty fields. This will help to ensure your application is not unnecessarily delayed.