Examples of passport photos for adults
Compare your photo with these examples when completing your passport application
Click on a photo for a more detailed explanation of the requirements.
Attaching your photos to an online application
Getting high quality passport photos
- Check the example passport photos to make sure your photo meets the requirements. Read our tips to help you get correct digital passport photos. To avoid delays, we recommend you get your passport photos from a business that provides a specialist passport photo service.
- Check your photo meets our technical requirements.
Technical requirements for online applications
- File type: Jpg or Jpeg
- File size: Greater than 500kb and less than 10MB
- Dimensions: Minimum 900 pixels wide x 1200 pixels high -- maximum 4500 pixels wide x 6000 pixels high
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (Width:Height ratio)
- You need to provide only 1 photo that's less than 6 months old.
- Your photo must be in colour when it's uploaded. Your photo will be incorporated into the page containing the security chip in the front of your passport but it will be in black and white. The colour version of your photo is stored electronically on the security chip itself.