- APPLICATION FORM use the right form
- CHECKLIST avoid mistakes and delays
- PERSONAL DETAILS
proving your legal name
- PREVIOUS DOCUMENTS proving your identity
- WITNESS AND PHOTOS confirming your identity
- CONTACT DETAILShow can we reach you?
- PAYMENT METHODS work out the total cost
- SEND OR DELIVERsubmit your form to us
Apply for a new adult passport – your witness and photos
You are not able to apply for a new adult passport online.
A witness completes part of your application form to confirm your identity
Your witness must have a New Zealand passport, cannot be related to you, or live at the same address as you. Read the following section carefully to make sure you and your witness fill out your application form correctly.
On this page:
- Who can be your witness?
- Fill in page 9 carefully to avoid delays
- You complete section 12 – Your name for the witness to confirm
- Your witness completes section 13 – Witness section
- How to attach your photos to your application
Who can be your witness?
Your witness MUST...
- be 16 years of age or older
- hold a valid New Zealand passport
- have known you for 1 year or more
- have a daytime telephone number in case we need to call them, AND
- be prepared to provide details such as their date of birth and home address.
Your witness MUST NOT...
- be a relative (for example your witness cannot be your parent, child, brother, sister, aunt, uncle or cousin)
- be your spouse or partner, OR
- live at the same address as you.
Fill in page 9 carefully to avoid delays
Application section 12 – Your name for the witness to confirm
Only fill in section 12 on page 9 of the application form. DO NOT fill in any information at section 13, your witness must complete this section in their own handwriting.
Get your witness to complete application section 13
- Give your witness your application form.
- Give your witness your passport photos.
- Give your witness the guide notes to read.
Application section 13 – Witness section
DO NOT fill in any information in this section, your witness must complete this section in their own handwriting.
Checklist for application section 13
- Make sure your witness completes all the questions.
- Make sure they sign and date the bottom of page 9.
- Make sure they have completed and signed the back of one of your photos.
How to attach your photos to your application
- Check the example passport photos to make sure your photo meets the requirements.
- You need to provide 2 identical photos that are less than 6 months old.
- Your photos must be in colour. Your photo will be incorporated into the page containing the security chip in the front of your passport but it will be in black and white. The colour version of your photo is stored electronically on the security chip itself.
- Put your child's photos into a sealed envelope or a plastic bag and attach the envelope or bag to your child's application form
- DO NOT staple, pin or glue your photos on to the page
Be careful with your photos. Make sure they are not damaged, bent, or creased when you submit your application form. If your photos are damaged this will delay the processing of your application.