- ADULT RENEWAL FORM
online or paper form?
- CHECKLISTcheck and sign your form
- PERSONAL DETAILSproving your identity
- REFEREE AND PHOTOSverifying your identity
- CONTACT DETAILShow can we reach you?
- PAYMENT METHODSwork out the total cost
- SEND OR DELIVERsubmit your form to us
- QUESTIONS AND ANSWERSpassport fee changes and the Online Renewal Service
- Technical RequirementsOnline Renewal Service
Renew your adult passport - payment methods
This section will help you work out how much your passport will cost and will explain any additional costs such as international courier fees that may apply.
On this page:
Is your travel urgent?
You cannot submit an urgent passport renewal online.
A standard application for a passport takes us up to 10 working days to process. If you need to travel urgently or because of an emergency situation complete the paper application form, for an additional fee we can usually process your passport application in up to 3 working days.
If you need to travel because of serious illness or the death of a family member you may not have to pay this extra fee, or it may be refunded after your passport has been issuedLearn more about urgent travel and how we can help
Work out the cost of your replacement passport
Which level of service will you be using?
- Look down the table of fees and charges to find the level of service you are using, then look across the table to the country you are sending your application to.
- If you are using a paper application form:
- In section 14, tick the service level you have selected.
- In section 14, write down the amount from the table and tick the currency of the country you are paying in.
Where is your new passport being delivered?
Is your passport being delivered within the same country where you are sending your application to be processed?
- Delivery is included in the application fee.
- You won't pay the international courier delivery fee.
Do you want your passport delivered to a different country from the country where you are sending your application to be processed?
- You will also need to pay the international courier fee.
- Refer to the courier fees section on the table of fees and charges and look down the list to find the region your passport will be delivered to, then look across the table to the country you are sending your application to.
- In section 14, write down the amount of the courier fee.
Are you submitting your application via a New Zealand Embassy, High Commission or Consulate office?
- You will need to pay an additional handling fee directly to the diplomatic office. The fee is equal to NZ$50.00 in the local currency of the country where the office is located.
- If you want your passport sent to a different location after it's been issued, instead of collecting it from the diplomatic office where you're submitting your application, you will also need to pay the international courier fee shown in the table of fees and charges.
Ways to pay
Your application fee must be paid in the currency of the country where you are sending your application to be processed.
DO NOT SEND CASH IN THE POST.
Sending cash in the post is prohibited by New Zealand Post. It is not secure and we will not accept responsibility for its security or accept this as a reason for you not paying your application fee. Use one of the payment methods described below.
You are required to pay the application fee and any additional fees that apply in-full before your passport application will be accepted for processing.
Payment method How to use this payment method EFTPOS or cash payments
- EFTPOS or cash payments can only be made in-person at a Passport office.
Cheques and money orders
- Fill in all parts of the cheque or money order.
- Make it payable to the 'Department of Internal Affairs'.
Credit cards (and bank debit cards in the United Kingdom)
- Payment to a New Zealand Passport office can be made with MasterCard, VISA credit cards, Visa debit cards and American Express.
- Provide all of the details requested in the payment section of the application form.
- Credit card payments cannot be processed by New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions or Consulate offices.
Online payment using a credit card
- Payment using the online renewal can be made with MasterCard and VISA credit cards.