- ADULT RENEWAL FORM
online or paper form?
- CHECKLISTcheck and sign your form
- PERSONAL DETAILSproving your identity
- REFEREE AND PHOTOSverifying your identity
- CONTACT DETAILShow can we reach you?
- PAYMENT METHODSwork out the total cost
- SEND OR DELIVERsubmit your form to us
- QUESTIONS AND ANSWERSpassport fee changes and the Online Renewal Service
- Technical RequirementsOnline Renewal Service
Ways you can renew your adult passport
The easiest way to renew your New Zealand passport is to apply online, from anywhere in the world, you won't need to print off forms, mail us anything or visit a Passport office. Paper application forms (if you need one) can still be downloaded from this site, printed and mailed for processing. Pre-printed application forms are also available from your nearest Passport office.
Passport Office Christmas / New Years Opening Hours
The Passport Office will be closed from 5:00pm on the 24th of December, and will reopen on the 5th of January. During this time a Call Out service is available by appointment, please contact us for further information. The Contact Centre will be open the 29th 30th and 31st of December from 8:30am to 5:00pm for urgent enquiries only.
Want to renew online? First, read these tips...
1 Travelling soon?
- You cannot submit an urgent application online.
- You cannot travel while your application is being processed.
2 Passport photos
- Your photo must be saved as a JPG (or JPEG) so it can be uploaded with your online application. You do not need a printed photo.
- Your photo must meet our photo requirements.
- Check your Online Renewal photo now.
- Your photo cannot be scanned and then uploaded.
- We recommend you get a photo from a specialist passport photographer.
- A photo that is successfully uploaded to the Online Renewal Service as part of an Online Renewal still needs to be assessed by our office to ensure it meets all photo requirements. Part of our assessment involves preparing the photo to be printed into the passport and embedded in the chip. Very occasionally there are issues with the photo that prevent this from being completed successfully. As a result of this assessment the photo may not meet all requirements, and you will be contacted about providing a new photo.
3 You will need a RealMe login
- As part of the application process you will be prompted to create a RealMe login or use your existing RealMe login.
- Creating a RealMe login only takes a few minutes.
- Having a RealMe login allows you to save your application and finish it later if you need to.
4 Passport details for your identity referee
- You need to tell us your identity referee's name and passport number exactly as it appears on their most recent New Zealand passport.
- You also need their daytime contact phone numbers.
5 You need a credit card
- We accept Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- EFTPOS or direct debit payments are not available.
- No cash payments.
- Sorted out your passport photo?
- Asked your referee for their name and passport number exactly as it appears on their most recent New Zealand Passport.
- Got your most recent passport with you?
- Any questions contact us by free phone 0800 22 52 12 (New Zealand only) or +64 (4) 463 9375
to renew online RealMe login Complete form Pay
Most existing NZ passport holders can now renew their passport online
The easiest way to renew your New Zealand passport is to apply online, you won't need to print off forms, mail us any anything or visit a Passport office. We will help you get started with a short checklist.
Forms you can download and print are still available, if you really need one
Are you using the correct application form?
Check you're using the correct application form. Read this page carefully to make sure you are eligible to use the renewal form. Some existing passport holders will need to complete a full application, depending on your circumstances.
- Are you 16 years or over?
- Have you already had a New Zealand passport?
- Has your passport not been lost or stolen?
- Has your name not changed since your last passport was issued?
Download, complete on-screen and print an adult renewal passport application form
You can complete our forms on-screen using the Editable PDF functionality with Adobe Reader'. You must still print off the application and sign where applicable by hand.
This form needs to be opened in Adobe Reader version 9 or higher.
For more information about our editable forms see our Questions and Answers on the Editable PDF application forms.
Download and print a renewal form
Adult passport renewal form PDF, 12 pages, 319kb
This form needs to be opened in Adobe Reader version 9 or higher. If you are unable to open this form we recommend you get the latest version of Adobe Reader, which can be downloaded for free from the Adobe site.
Find out how much your passport will cost
and how long it will take.
Your previous passport
You are not required to send your New Zealand passport to us. Once your application has been received your previous New Zealand passport will be cancelled and cannot be used for travel.
- Personal details
- Identity referee and photos
- Contact and delivery details
- Applicant declaration and checklist
- Payment methods
- Submitting your form to us
Learn more about:
Unable to download or access this form?
Printed copies are available from:
- your nearest passport office, OR
- overseas from New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions or Consulates.
The downloadable version of this form has most of the colour and shading removed so it can be printed in black and white. You will need to print it on high quality A4 sized paper. You must send the complete application form, even if some pages have not been filled in by you and there are empty fields. This will help to ensure your application is not unnecessarily delayed.
You can't renew your passport online if the new passport is for a child under 16 years of ageApply for a child's passport using the paper child application form
You can't renew your passport online if you are over 16 years old and any of the following situations apply
- You are applying for a New Zealand Passport for the first time
- Your name has changed since your last passport was issued
- Your passport has been lost or stolen
- You have an endorsement printed on the observation page of your most recent New Zealand passport, or will need one in your renewed passport
- Your New Zealand passport is a Diplomatic or Official passport
- You need to use your passport for travel within the next 10 days